21 May 2011

How to Marry a Thai in Singapore

You should refer to here - https://www.rom.gov.sg/reg_info/rom_marriage.asp

Please spend some time to go through and understand the information on that section (legal provision, other information, filing of notice, solemnization and etc), if your still not sure, feel free to drop a comment here or you can use their FAQ.

The ROM website did a really good job of putting together the information that you need in a well-organized manner. I've done it once and I think the guide is very easy to follow.

The only hiccup I've had with my marriage is during the Appointment for verification & Statutory Declaration where both of us were required to read out a wall of text and my wife had difficulty getting past the first few lines and the counter guy got fed up and told my wife to stop.

Definitely my oversight as I didn't arrange for an interpreter beforehand but luckily, there was a licensed interpreter at the scene and we managed to get her to do the interpretation for my wife and that was a S$200 interpretation. Damn good money for a less than 10 minutes interpretation. So better make sure both of you can read English, Mandarin or Tamil quite well, if not, get a licensed interpreter beforehand.

And you might wonder, what is Appointment for verification & Statutory Declaration, as it's not specified on the ROM website. It's an appointment at ROM to check both your documents and do some swearing and you cannot choose the date as it seems to be automatically allocated. It should take place 3 days before your date of solemnization.

Example, your solemnization day is 29 Jul 2011 (Fri), so your Appointment for verification & Statutory Declaration will on 26 Jul 2011 (Tue).

Marriage Rings

Useful links

Updated on 20 Aug 2014.

09 May 2011

Document Translation from Thai to English

Where to Translate

If I remember correctly, they charge around S$40-S$45 per page at Golden Mile but personally, I have not tried any of the above.

I had my wife's documents translated at Professional Thai Linguistic Services. They charge S$30 per page e.g. birth cert, S$20 for a page with not many characters e.g. front and back of Thai ID card. If you are interested, following is more information.

Professional Thai Linguistic Services
36B Hong Kong Street
Holly Building
Singapore 059675
Tel: +65 6774 2703
Fax: +65 6773 2778

Certification after Translation

Note that the certification part is not specified on ICA website, as of publication of this article.

Also note that according to one of my readers who did a translation recently, the Royal Thai Embassy in Singapore only accept submission on weekdays from 8am to 11am.

After you receive the translated copy, according to ICA hotline, you need to get it certified by a lawyer or at the Thai Embassy. I have not tried a lawyer but I can share with you the process of certifying at the Thai Embassy.

You need to bring along:
  • The translated document.
  • A photocopy of the translated document.
  • The Thai document
  • Two photocopies of the Thai document.
  • Total 5 pieces.
So for example you are translating a birth certificate, you need to bring along:
  • The translated birth certificate.
  • A photocopy of the translated birth certificate.
  • The Thai birth certificate, yes, the original one.
  • Two photocopies of the Thai birth certificate.
  • Total 5 pieces.
For every document, you need to pay S$30. They charge by per document, not by per page. For example, you need to certify birth certificate, Thai ID card and household census list so you need to pay S$90. Maybe you have 5 or more pages for household census list, don't worry, it's still S$30.

I had my wife's birth certificate, Thai ID card, household census list and name change certificate certified for S$120, a total of 8 pages.

Remember to bring along local identity cards if any or passport as the guard may require you to change for a visitor pass.

You also need to fill up a form in Thai, allow your Thai spouse to handle it and upon submission of all documents for certification, you will be given a receipt with a date and time to collect. The certification takes at least a day.

Note that when you are applying for PR or LTVP, ICA will not keep the translated copy, but still, a good practice is to make a photocopy and also scan it into your computer if possible.

Updated on 21 Oct 2013.