09 May 2014

When Can Your Foreign Girlfriend/Boyfriend Apply for PR?

Recently I got a few mails asking about this so I thought I might as well make a post to share the information. First of all, who can apply for PR?

Apply for Permanent Residence

(a) Spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen (SC)/Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR)
(b) Aged Parents of a SC
(c) Employment Pass/ S Pass holders
(d) Investors/Entrepreneurs

You can look at (a), the key word is spouse i.e. your husband or your wife, which means both of you must be legally married, doesn't matter whether you marry in Singapore or other country as long as the marriage certificate is issued by the country's authority, in Singapore, the authority for marriages is Registry of Marriage or more commonly known as ROM, in Thailand, they have district offices to register marriage.

So there you go, as long as you are a Singaporean or Singapore Permanent Resident, and you have a marriage certificate issued by the authority, your spouse can apply for PR.

And to be more specific to those who are going to register their marriage in Singapore, yes, with the marriage certificate issued after your ROM, you can apply for both LTVP and PR.


Unknown said...

applied for PR for my foreign wife in May ... just got a letter from ICA yesterday saying rejected.

so what do I do now ? can I just straight away appeal or need to join the que again to apply a second time ?

marrythaigirlsingapore said...

Hi Unknown,

Is this her first time? If so, I suggest wait for one year and then try again, no point appealing now since they will most likely reject again and your time and energy is wasted.

For my wife's case, after rejection, we waited almost two years before applying again, luckily she managed to get it the second time.