Apply BTO Before MOP

I have colleague, family and even some comments from this blog suggesting a possibility of applying for Build-To-Order (BTO) flat before fulfilling the Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) of 5 years, but based on what I interpreted from the HDB website some time back this doesn't seem to be the case, but I don't think so many people are suggesting it for no reason, so I decided to drop HDB an email to clarify. The following is their response:

"Eligibility to buy an HDB flat

Dear Sir

  Thank you for your email of 19 May 2018.

2  You may wish to know that if you are living in the current resale flat bought on the open market (without CPF Housing Grant) you can submit a flat application for a project which has a Delivery Possession Date (DPD) on or after the 5 year Minimum Occupation Period (MOP) for your resale flat. For example, if the MOP for your resale flat ends in Mar 2022, you can apply for flat with a DPD on or after Mar 2022.

3  However, if your current resale flat bought on the open market is with CPF Housing Grant, you will only be eligible to apply to buy a flat from HDB after you have fulfilled the 5 year MOP. In addition, you and your family must meet all the other eligibility conditions on income ceiling, non-ownership or have disposed of any private properties within 30 months from the date of flat application, and etc.

You may click on the link for more information on the eligibility conditions to buy a flat from HDB: https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/buying-a-flat/buying-procedure-for-new-flats"

By the way Delivery Possession Date (DPD) is the date that the owner collects the key for the BTO flat.

I think the email is very clear, if never take housing grant, no need to wait for 5 years, can apply for BTO as long as the DPD is on or after the last month of MOP.

But if take housing grant, then must wait for 5 years before one can apply for BTO.

So for my case, since I have taken the Singles Grant of $15,000, I must wait for 5 years before I can apply for BTO.


Comments

Peggy Tang said…
What if I do not use the cpf housing grant to buy the first resale house, am I still entitle for the cpf housing grant for the bto flat?
Hi Peggy,

Yes, I think internally HDB will track how much has been disbursed to you, and when you apply for BTO, they will deduct accordingly. So for your case if you have never taken any grant, then when you apply for BTO, you will be eligible for the full amount of whatever scheme you apply for. You can check out the various BTO schemes at HDB website.
Unknown said…
Hi,

Do you know whether this policy is still valid in 2022? I tried to ask the same question to HDB, but the response is "Generally, you may only apply for a New Flat from HDB after meeting the 5 Minimum Occupation Period (MOP)."

HDB did not answer specifically to my question..
Hi Unknown,

I'm not aware of any change to applying new flat before the MOP so I suppose it is the same.

But it is better to contact HDB directly to confirm. Usually I use their contact us page: https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/contact-us

Popular posts from this blog

Long-Term Visit Pass - Plus (LTVP-PLUS)

How to Marry a Thai in Singapore

Commission Calculator for DBS Vickers SG Stocks