Something Wrong with Wife's CoaguChek XS Meter

Recently the device keep showing QC error, wasted quite a few test strips and still unable to get a reading, I think wasted like almost a bottle of the test strips, one bottle have 6 and cost $64.20 after GST. And that's how we lost track of her INR level. Should have bring her to NUH to check instead of waiting.

Last Saturday when we went to NUH, I tried looking for the test strips at the Clinic A pharmacy but they don't sell, the pharmacist told me to try the one at the Medical Centre at level 3, good thing they sell so I bought two bottles. After that tried one and got error 6, I think it's because wife's INR was too high so the device can't read it and show error instead.

By the way if you want to know more about the error codes you can see this link for the user manual. I also found a link at HSA which says INR value  greater than 8 can cause error 6, but wife's reading was 6+ based on NUH A&E blood test but the meter shows error 6, very confusing.

So today I managed to arrange a session with the manufacturer, wife went there with baby because I need to work, they did a quick check and configuration but found nothing wrong with the meter, they asked wife to test and got a reading of 1.8. They didn't charge my wife for the check so it was a nice gesture from them, because I know the device only one year warranty if I remember correctly.

This is their address:
Roche Diagnostics Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
Aperia Tower 1
8 Kallang Ave, Singapore 339509
Level 11

Summary of wife's INR results:
20 Oct - Checked at A&E via blood test 6+ (after that warded)
21 Oct - Checked at ward via blood test 5+ (this was after her blood transfusions)
22 Oct - Never check
23 Oct - Checked at manufacturer via our meter 1.8

So you can see the reading today suddenly drop so much, now wondering the meter is accurate or not, tomorrow wife will go to NUH and do a blood test and at the same time test on meter to see if in sync or not, what we know is that blood test is most accurate for sure.

Initially I thought could be due to her blood transfusions, while she was warded they gave her 4 packets of blood, but then the 21 Oct blood test was done after her transfusions so I don't think it is related, quite likely should be the meter gets less accurate over time or wear and tear, drop on floor maybe.

Worst-case just buy another meter, I bought this in 2015, served us well for about 3 years, saved us a lot of time, expensive device but overall cost is lower so I think it's a necessity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long-Term Visit Pass - Plus (LTVP-PLUS)

How to Marry a Thai in Singapore

Commission Calculator for DBS Vickers SG Stocks