China Man Got Let Go

Today my boss suddenly asked me to speak in a private room, then told me the top management decided to let the guy go, I was quite surprised because it was so fast, only yesterday he asked for my opinion then today fire the guy, but nevertheless with his kind of standard it's just a matter of sooner or later. Now I feel a bit bad, maybe I should have just kept quiet but then I don't think it's just because what I told boss, his conduct all can see, even customers not quite happy with him.

Then boss shared with me what they plan to do, one approach is for me to take over that guy's duties but at a higher level and he will get people to help me, naturally I declined because it's above my pay grade, that guy is manager level and I'm an analyst, doesn't make any sense for me to do more and not get paid more. Anyway for the sake of the big picture, that guy's duties even if I take over doesn't mean it will go smoothly because the scope is not small, need at least a dedicated personnel to take up the job. So I just plainly told boss he should find a dedicated analyst to take up the job.

Anyway see how it goes, problem now is the China guy didn't even produce anything worth showing to customers, jia lat, if find another person have to start over again because he probably have nothing to hand over. Jia lat, everywhere I go also encounter this kind of smokster, really amazing how these people can slime around for so long, like the unkillable cockroach.

Comments

BrokerADD said…
Don't mind me kay poh a bit...

From what you wrote in the second paragraph, seems to me you don't realise that your boss offered an opportunity for you to prove to them that you can take on a manager role.

If you do well at the Manager level, no reason for your company not to raise your rank and pay in the annual reviews in a year or two. If they don't promote you, then this company is not as good as you think it is.

If one is looking to up their career to the next level, one should be already be working on the next level, not stay at current level.

Cheers

No problem at all.

I know what he was offering, but the thing is I cannot stand management work, my interest is more on technical work. By the way my current company have two tracks, one is management, another is technical, when my boss interviewed me I mentioned that I also did business analyst work in previous company but I told him I preferred technical work and just so happened that he needed analyst more so he put me as analyst, but it's fine I guess, just try my best.

My last company also put me on management role and I didn't like it, too much people problems to deal with, nasty customers, like really nasty ones, lazy or self-serving colleagues, sigh.
Anonymous said…
It's up to you. Anyway, in this cost cutting environment, management with high salaries also get let go. Just look at Starhub recently. Just grow at your own way and own pace.
BrokerADD said…
All right man.
I see your point of view.

All the best in your new company :)
Thanks both for your kind words.

Popular posts from this blog

Long-Term Visit Pass - Plus (LTVP-PLUS)

How to Marry a Thai in Singapore

Commission Calculator for DBS Vickers SG Stocks