Typical Singapore Family Problem

https://theindependent.sg/woman-gives-mum-1600-monthly-but-mum-says-its-not-enough-complains-daughter-refuses-to-let-her-mum-retire

https://www.whispers.sg/c/sgwhispers/posts/5342

The story first appeared in my Google news feed via The Independent Singapore, I also found the original publication at SGWhispers.

I read this story with great interest because it reminded me of my own experience, how come as kids we are so happy and carefree, then after we grow up, things can change so drastically, family can be at each other's throat because of money.

It's so difficult to say what is right and what is wrong, some can argue it's the parents responsibility to take care of children without expecting anything in return, or some can argue it should be the other way round, ultimately who is right?

If you try to be "fair", then what is fair? Some may interpret it as "calculative", for example utilities bill is $200 a month, you have 4 "headcount" in the household, so divide by 4, is that the best solution? You will probably end up arguing over this when the utilities bill go up, then all the "you use the washing machine the most" or "you open fan all the time" kind of arguments will come up.

Living under same roof is not easy, bound to have lots of conflicts, it takes a toll on your mental health, best is stay separately. For me everything got better after I moved out, like getting out of a prison.

For me allowance depends, if my parents health are not good and cannot work, then allowance is a must, by hook or by crook I will give them my full support.

If they are healthy and can work, then they should work and earn their own allowance because working is not just for money, it is also to keep the mind active. My maternal grandfather passed away with Alzheimer's, my aunties and uncles very filial, they told him to retire, so everyday he just sit around and do nothing, in his later years he cannot even recognise his own children and grandchildren, cannot even take care of his personal matters, passed away skinny to the bone.

If they are going to idle at home and wait for me to give allowance, then they can wait long long.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long-Term Visit Pass - Plus (LTVP-PLUS)

How to Marry a Thai in Singapore

Commission Calculator for DBS Vickers SG Stocks