Try Different Field?
Now that my contract is ending in Sep, I have been thinking if I should try other field to see if I can gain a new perspective and ignite a new passion.
I have been in IT for 20+ years, it all started with a passion to learn more about hardware, software, network, programming, solve technical problems, every difficult problem I solved, I always felt that I leveled up, I mean I still feel a sense of achievement these days but it kind of feels different, or maybe I got older.
I tried various roles, various industries, various projects, different companies, but it's always the same old shit, like people shitting in toilet and don't bother to flush for months and years, and I always have to go in to clean the whole toilet, that whole few years of shit, and I'm just getting a single person's salary.
Not sure if people understand this, but for a car to run smoothly, every part has to work well, same goes for any system, any project, some people keep the whole car clean and nice send it for regularly maintenance, some people you go inside the car smells like piss, they simply don't bother, and then you have this kind of "professionals" maintaining a system or running a project, what do you think will happen? Shit buildup.
Then there's also so much wastage in government IT projects, they spend a lot of money on useless commercial off-the-shelf hardware and software and also application development to build systems that don't actually bring value to taxpayers, even the users of the system complains that it is slow, buggy or useless, but most of the time it is just to fulfil some senior civil servant's KPI so they can get promoted.
Like current project, the agency spends multi-millions, half the software they don't even use and just running and wasting electricity and they run it just to justify the purchase and not because they use it. And then they buy so many licenses for a particular brand of web server and only use 1 license. Anyway this is just tip of the iceberg, can't be bothered to see or care anymore.
Thinking of trying a different field, something that is more focused, more interesting, more meaningful.
Comments